Category: Ice cream/Sundaes
Sub Category: Kulfi
Special Food Type: General
Region: North Indian (Panjabi & Moghlai)
The first time I ever ate this kulfi was at a chaat corner in Delhi. Out of sheer curiosity, I visited this place when I heard of their Stuffed Fruit Kulfi.
What I was served was a frozen mango, which was peeled and sliced. It is then that I realised that the mango had been carefully deseeded and stuffed with kulfi and frozen. So when the fruit was sliced I could bite into the chilled mango as well as taste a rich, delicious kulfi. It was simply divine!
I tried different versions of this recipe using various fruits, but realised that mango and apples complement the kulfi really well. This secret of the stuffed mango, I would like to share with everybody!
Cooking Time : 45 mins.
Preparation Time : 20 mins.
2 large mangoes
2 large apples
For the kulfi
1 litre full fat milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cardamom (elaichi) powder
a few saffron strands
1 tablespoon cornflour
For the kulfi
1. In a small bowl, soak the saffron in a little warm milk and keep aside.
2. Dissolve the cornflour in 2 tablespoons of water and keep aside.
3. Put the milk in a broad non-stick pan and bring it to a boil. Add the cornflour solution and sugar and mix well.
4. Simmer over a medium flame, stirring continuously till the milk reduces to a little less than half the original quantity (approx. 450 ml.).
5. Cool completely, add the cardamom powder and saffron liquid to the mixture and mix well. Keep aside.
How to proceed
1. Slice the top of the mangoes and apples, reserving them for later use.
2. Using a sharp fruit knife, scoop out the mango seeds carefully, taking care not to loosen the pulp inside.
3. For the apples, also scoop out the core and a little of the flesh so that a cavity is created.
4. Fill the cooled kulfi mixture into the scooped fruits and cover with the reserved fruit top. Cover the fruit in a plastic film and freeze for 4 to 6 hours.
5. Just before serving, unwrap the fruits and peel the mangoes.
6. Cut into thick slices horizontally and serve immediately.